About our parish
Since 1892 Santo Christo Parish has served the Portuguese-speaking Catholic community in the Fall River area. We are the only Catholic parish in all the world with our name. Our original, longer name, "Senhor Santo Cristo dos Milagres," means "Lord Holy Christ of the Miracles."
We incorporate the image of our Lord Jesus Christ scourged and crowned before His crucifixion, an image known as "Ecce homo" (Latin for "Behold the man"), drawing from Pontius Pilate's statement in John 19:5. The image is widely revered on the island of St Michael (São Miguel) in the Azores, where much of our community has roots.
We pray the Sacred Liturgy and devotions in Portuguese and English, with occasional use of Latin, our common language as Latin-rite (Roman) Catholics. Our Religious Education classes are taught in English, though many of our catechists are bilingual and thus able to communicate with parents and children whose English is limited.
A history of our parish is provided in our 125th Anniversary commemorative book (Adobe PDF),
which can be downloaded by clicking the box below.
125th Anniversary Book